Friday, March 24, 2006

Notes from a Teaching Colleague

(Names are changed to protect the innocent.)

Jackie pointed out the fact that I had a tattoo on my back. Like always, my response was "It's not a real one." She proceeded to tell me that her "auntie" had a real one. "She got it when she got drunk." I tell parents the first day...if they don't want me to know, they better not tell them!

While testing William on punctuation this morning, I was flipping over flashcards with large printed punctuation marks. The question mark just got a blank look out of him, the period was a dot, and then we got to the comma...I knew he wouldn't get it, so I pointed to it and told him it was a comma. The next were quotation marks. "What are these?" I asked. "Four commas." was his answer.

My most perceptive student, I'll just call him "God's son"...walks up to me this morning and says, "What's wrong Ms. S.? You don't sleep?" I think this kid could read me if he was blind.

No comments: